LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday 30 December 2012

Best of Makeup 2012 | This Year's Favourites


With the New Year almost upon us and not much to do today other than scoff the remainders at the bottom of the Quality Street tin, I thought it would be a fabulous idea to spend my Sunday completely raiding my makeup drawers!  I thought I would pick out a few items that have been 'can't live without' makeup products for the past 12 months of my life... 


Best Lipstick
Ok I just HAD to cheat with this one. There's no other way around this and I hold my hands up and admit that I am an absolute lipstick addict. It was impossible to pick a winner and a runner up simply because I wear different colours and shades depending on the time of year. So I picked 4 of the best additions to my collection this year.. (it's the only time I cheat throughout my whole post..promise!)

YSL | Rouge Volupte Perle in '114' - 2012 saw me purchase my first ever YSL lipstick. And the second. And the third..  Wonderfully pigmented and deliciously soft, these lipsticks simply melt onto the lips with ease. This one was gifted to me for my 22nd birthday and it's the most beautiful fuchsia pink complete with teeny tiny shimmers. If you wish to see a swatch click here.
Mac | Costa Chic - My most worn lipstick throughout the summer months and a must-have for trips abroad. Looks fabulous with a tan and is amazingly pigmented.
Mac | Shy Girl - The newest addition to my lipstick collection. I will wear this all year round without a shadow of a doubt as it's the most perfect everyday lip colour for me - a wonderful muted peachy nude (click here for a review).
Maxfactor | Ruby Tuesday - The perfect red for me. These lipsticks provide just the right amount of moisture yet don't compromise on pigmentation or wear time. (click here for a swatch and similar shades)


Best Everyday Lip Product
Winner: Burt's Bee's | Replenishing Lip Balm - I won this in the lovely Jodie's giveaway and it's been my go-to lip balm everyday since. I apply this in the morning before my makeup alongside my moisturiser and carry it in my bag for top ups throughout the day. (review here)
Runner-up: Revlon | Lip Butter in 'Creme Brulee' - A very wearable everyday lip shade that's moisturising enough to feel like a lip balm but pigmented enough to look like a lipstick. The best of both worlds. (to see my collection click here)
Best Powder
Winner: Mac | Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in 'Medium' - I'm sure this will be top of the list for a lot of you. Sets my makeup without dulling my foundation and provides a natural finish which lasts all day long (review here)
Runner up: No7 | Pressed Powder in 'Medium' - A very good powder for taking away any shine and I found this came in very handy on holiday when humid nights sometimes get the better of your makeup!



Best Blush
Winner: Illamasqua | Powder Blush in 'Lover' - I would place bets on this being in my next year's favourites too. It's just my all-time favourite blush and I wear it all year round. Amazing pigment, soft to the touch and brightens up my complexion in an instant. (for similar shades click here)
Runner Up: Revlon | Photoready Cream Blush in 'Pinched Peaches' - This was my go-to blush for the summertime and holidays abroad this year. It's quite sheer but buildable, and the consistency for a cream blush was just right for me. Not too sticky or greasy, and easily applied.

Best Bronzing Product
Winner: Nars | Powder Bronzer in 'Laguna' - Predictable? Yes. Fed up of seeing it? Maybe. But there is no denying that this little beauty is the gem in a lot of blogger's makeup bags around the world. It's natural, versatile and lasts an age.
Runner Up: Chanel Bronze Universal - A fairly new addition, but one that I cannot wait to get more use out of this summertime. I use this as a cream contour for my cheekbones. It buffs into the skin like a dream and still looks freshly applied at the end of the day. If you wish to see the product in more depth I did a post a little while back here.


Best Priming Product
Winner: Loreal | Studio Secrets Professional Smoothing Resurfacing Primer - The best primer I have used - I even preferred it to Benefit's Porefessional. It just seems to work for me and is the only primer I've found that doesn't feel greasy on me.
Runner Up: Urban Decay | Eyeshadow Primer Potion - I don't use this everyday but I use it on a regular basis. If I'm going on a night out or need my eyeshadow to last longer I won't apply my eyeshadow without it - it works amazingly well and makes your shadow apply smoother.


Best Eyebrow Product
Winner: Sleek | Brow Kit - I've just had to grab myself a new one of these hence why it looks a little..new!? I use the light or the dark version depending on how defined I want to go with my brows. Does the job and provides a very good colour pay off. I sometimes just use the powder on it's own. (I have a review of the light kit here)
Runner Up: Mac | Brow Set in 'Beguiled' - This is a fabulous product but one that took a lot of getting used to. I know for a fact a lot of people don't like the coloured brow sets (you can get a clear version) but i personally like how this one defines the eyebrows at the same time as setting any wax or powder I've applied previously. I have an in-depth review of it here.

Best Concealer
Winner: Estee Lauder | Double Wear Concealer -  Provides a heavier coverage without looking cakey, even when reapplied and lasts me all day. Fabulous for under-eyes and blemishes. My all time favourite concealer.
Runner Up: Estee Lauder | Disappear Smoothing Creme Concealer - My summer concealer for all-round concealing goodness. It's slightly lighter than the double wear but lasts just as long and smooths out areas of unevenness as well as covering blemishes (review here)


Best Foundation
Winner: YSL | Touche Eclat Foundation - Smooths out my skin and feels light and fresh on the skin. I have a review of this foundation along with swatches here.
Runner up: Maybelline | Fit Me Foundation - Never have I found such a perfect match in a drugstore foundation and I have been so impressed with the Fit Me foundation. I have a review of it here if you wish to have a read about it.




Best Powder Highlighter
Winner: Nars | Highlighting Powder in Albatross - Slightly controversial since I received this for Christmas. But I've wanted it for ages and own lots of the Nars powder products and they're just such good quality. Look out for a review and swatches coming soon!
Runner-up: Sleek | Contour Kit - I've used this for a couple of years now and it's always served me well. It's not the most long lasting highlight and I always have to build it up on my cheekbones but a very flattering and natural shade and one that I will continue to go back to I'm sure.


Best Singular Eyeshadow 
 Winner: Nars | Eyeshadow in 'Mekong' - My first Nars eyeshadow and it certainly shall not be my last. This has to be the most pigmented shadow I own and you only need the tiniest touch of a brush to provide amazing colour. This one is fabulous for smokey eyes but also can be used for a slightly more defined daytime look.
Runner-up: Maybelline | 24 Hour Colour Tattoo - SHAMAZING! Pigmented eyeshadow that last all day and all night without fail yet also acts as a base underneath powder shadows. A wonderful versatile little pot of product and one that has been used constantly throughout 2012.

Best Palette
Winner: Urban Decay | Naked2
Runner-Up: Urban Decay| Naked
Both palettes have been a staple in my makeup collection ever since they were first released and will continue to be a daily necessity for me. The Naked 2 just tops the mark slightly as I find it has a wider range of shades suitable for both day and night. You can see my comparison of the two in this post here if you wish to view the shades in greater detail.


What has been your favourite product of 2012?

22 comments:

  1. I love Best Of posts. And I love Lover as well! Might be my favorite blush as well. I need to try some YSL lipsticks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too - cant wait for lots of them to start popping up on my reading list :) Oo yess the YSL lipsticks are lovely - definitely recommend them xx

      Delete
  2. Great post lovely, really enjoyed reading this :)
    The YSL lipstick has been amongst my faves, too! I'd really love to try their foundation now xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you enjoyed my post :) i was worried it might be too long!
      Their foundation is lovely - i really like it :) xx

      Delete
  3. I loved reading this post :) That NARS eyeshadow is a gorgeous colour, I've had my eye on it for a while, definitely may need to make a sneaky little purchase!

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Amy :) glad yuo liked it - was worried id rambled on a little bit and included far too much stuff :P
      Its beautiful - if you fancy a treat then go for it - its amazing quality xx

      Delete
  4. Brilliant post as always :)

    I need Nars Albatross in my life! Love the urban decay palettes too, I bought one for my sister for xmas and even though she doesn't normally wear make up she loved it!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thankyou Caitie :) Theyre such good palettes arent they! even for people who arent obsessed with makeup :P theyre just so versatile .. hope you have a fabulous new year x

      Delete
  5. I can't believe I am still yet to try Laguna! I'm not sure how good it would look on my pale skin though! Mekong definitely looks like my cup of tea, it's stunning :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. once youve tried it youll never be without it again! haha. Its quite sheer depending on the brush you use but its buildable :)i like it because it doesnt contain shed loads of glittery bits :) x

      Delete
  6. This is the best "best of 2012" post/video I've come across, really like your choices, and the fact that you included runners up :o) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thankyou so much lovely! I was slightly worried id made it a little too long! glad you thought it was a good read :) have a fabulous new year xx

      Delete
  7. AMAZING choices, your lippies look stunning, i neeed them :P

    Sophierosehearts x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab post, one of the best "Best Of" I've read, love that you also have runner up's :) I'm after writing down everything you mentioned for when I need replacements lol. Macs MSF is definitely the best, always go back to it!

    Ellie xo
    MisseBlog | MisseDesign

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pictures in this post! They all look great, and great picks too! Those lipsticks look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post! The Maybelline 24 Cream Eye shadow was definitely a favorite for me this year...drugstore cost & high end quality?! Helloooo, sold!

    www.MaybeBabyXo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a lovely post, so much effort! I went to Mac yesterday to get the powder you recommended but there was no one to advise me and it was so crowded that I went away emptied handed - boohoo! Will have to try again in the new year because it sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooooo , mac costa chic :) the perfect shade, i think ill do a post like this now, really love the idea :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post babe! A lot of your loves are my loves to! Feeling the Chanel and Naked palette love this year :D

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab post! :) You've got some lovely products there! :)
    Lucky girl for owning both the naked palettes! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, you've got some lovely looking products. Love the look of both the blushers best xx

    Lucy Loves To Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the YSL foundation i have it too i havent used Nars eyeshadows before but i do have Orgams blush, and i do want to try Laguna!

    www.luciedee.blogspot.com
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

I always read all of my lovely comments. Make sure you check back as i often reply but if you do have a specific question and want a quicker response then please do email me over at birds.words@yahoo.co.uk or tweet me (@Beth_BirdsWords). Thank you for all your support! x