LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday 25 May 2013

My 'Go-To' Face Base | Loreal Studio Secrets Professional Primer

Loreal Studio Secrets Professional Smoothing Resurfacing Primer | £14.29 | Link

You know those typical 'holy grail' items you have in your makeup bag? The ones you forever repurchase that get so embedded in your daily routine that you simply cannot live without them but often forget how much you rely on them? This is one of those items.  It occurred to me the other day that I've actually never spoken about one of my most used products on my blog.  I've been asked a few times what I use for a base before I apply my foundation as I've mentioned in  a few reviews that I don't really have problems getting my foundation to stay throughout the day and a lot of the time I really believe it's down to my primer. Without further jibber-jabber, I shall introduce to you to Loreal's Studio Professional Smoothing Resurfacing Primer (try saying that after a few - crikey!) I have had more than my fair share of these little pots - I believe I might be on my fourth or fifth so trust me when I say it's a well loved favourite. 

Now, I know primers are very much like foundation - what one person swears by, another one hates. It is a very personal thing and your skin type/moisturiser/foundation you use is all going to effect how your primer works.  For reference, I have fairly normal skin with a slightly oilier t-zone, and at certain times of the year my cheeks get a little dry - but nothing overly difficult apart from the odd pesky spot on my chin now and again.  The consistency has a very velvety, soft feel to it - and almost feels like a thick, whipped mousse when applied.  What I love about it is the fact it leaves no greasy residue on the skin - many primers I've tried feel quite greasy and I often feel a bit funny applying them to my skin - with this one, there's none of that.  It instantly makes the skin feel smooth to the touch - almost masking over any 'dodgy' uneven areas and helping to disguise any pores.  I apply it with my fingers, working from the middle of my face and outwards, concentrating on around my nose, my chin and my forehead.

I've never experience any breakouts with this product - it doesn't make my skin feel greasy and after smoothing out with my fingers it's undetectable - aside from the fact my skin feels one heck of a lot smoother! I then apply my foundation as normal.  I haven't yet found a foundation that doesn't work with this primer - it is the ultimate dream team with my beloved YSL Touche Eclat foundation. I know a few people said that they weren't too fussed about the wear time with this foundation when it was launched - but personally it lasts all day on me providing I use this beforehand and a dusting of powder afterwards.  It really is a little miracle worker for me - and I can honestly tell when I've forgotten to apply it.  It helps no end on holiday or in the summer when my makeup needs a little extra helping hand to stay in place and I hardly ever get any patchiness when I've applied it. I've actually used it as an emergency eyeshadow primer on holiday! If you're a fan of lighter, dewy foundations like me, then you'll know a good primer is a must-have in order to get it to stay put. There's no doubt that primers are a very personal thing, and they're very much a love or hate product - but if you've never tried a primer before or stay away from them purely because of the greasy residue a lot of them leave behind - then give Loreal's a whirl.  I even love the packaging - the little glass pot feels much more luxurious and considered than your average squeezy tube! It's worth every penny for me and it's worked better than some higher end options I've tried in the past. I love it. Holy grail status well and truly achieved.

What's your 'holy grail' primer? 

22 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorites too :D i was actually thinking of this primer the other day and i wanted to start using it again but for the life of me i have no idea where it is, need to have a good ol' dig through my makeup collection haha. I'm on my 2nd tub of this and i really enjoyed using it, not sure why i stopped tbh :)

    Sophia Meola | A Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its amazing isn't it! Works a treat :) You shall have to have a good ole' rummage round and hunt it down! xx

      Delete
  2. I used to love this primer but everytime I go to look for it in the shops I can never find it and end up giving up! As much as I love my Benefit Porefessional, I refuse to use it everyday because of the price so I wish I could find it again xx

    D Is For...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review - I do need a good, budget friendly primer!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always looking to try new primers, I haven't found one that I really love yet. You may have persuaded me to try this.. blogger problems! xx
    Rachael - beautypea.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for a new primer, and now I really want to try this one! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This product looks so nice I've heard so many things about it and I really want to try it!
    http://thelipstickthegirlandherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this primer too! But as it is about £15, I stopped repurchasing it :( x

    dippywrites.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems like a fabulous primer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm currently on the hunt for an 'everyday' primer, so this may have to go on my list. I've recently bought a mini Smashbox collection of face, eyeshadow and concealer primers which I'm going to try tonight, but good to know of another option to try:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting to try this for ages! But the price has put me off a bit.
    catrinteleri.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh this looks great, my primer has just run out. I may have to try this one!
    Great review :)

    Charlotte xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just got my Porefessional from benefit,but when I use it all up,i might give this one a try :)
    You have an amazing blog Beth!! I am your new follower <3
    Lots of love x x Martha

    ♥ ♥ '' Think Pink | Beauty, Fashion & Lifestyle Blog " ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this too! I passed by it so many times in the store, and my friend actually gave me hers, and I've been hooked ever since. It makes my skin feel so smooth and I think it actually helps control shine a little bit for me!

    xoxo aly

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like a dream!
    I've heard lots about it and i really want to try it out. I was wondering if it was comparable to that maybelline one (who's name i cannot remember.. Woops) i love the sound of this.

    Newest follower!
    International 750 Follower Giveaway
    xoXo
    BreezeyBee Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blog is amazing :) I love it, now following you :-)
    I really liked this post and your MAC one those lilac lipsticks are so pretty my fav colour thanks for sharing these xx

    www.krystelcouture.com | Shamballa Bracelet Giveaway ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. I heard quite a bit about this recently but didn't really think much of it - might have to give it a go though as my current one is terrible! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. it's lovely to read your detailed review on the product - I would also like it if you can show pictures after application! :)

    It will be awesome if you can check out my new inspiration post!
    A
    xx
    http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. My holy grail primer is the givenchy mister mattifying primer :) feels like silk!
    Lovely post ! Il definately have a look at this one!:)
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous review lovely and your pictures are gorgeous! I've never been one to go to primers as I always fear they will have the oppostite effect and make my makeup slide off my face. But I've been going to a lot more lighter foundations recently and I'm struggling with the lasting time of them, so looks like you have sold me completely and I need to pick myself one up. This looks and sounds great :) xxx

    Danielle | Miss Sunshine & Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds lovely! Wish I read this review a few days ago, went and brought a Revlon one the other day, I hope it's as good as this sounds! xx

    Lucy Loves To Blog

    ReplyDelete

I always read all of my lovely comments. Make sure you check back as i often reply but if you do have a specific question and want a quicker response then please do email me over at birds.words@yahoo.co.uk or tweet me (@Beth_BirdsWords). Thank you for all your support! x