LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday 21 November 2013

Nars Sheer Glow Foundation | Full Review & Swatches

Swatches / L - 'Fiji' | R - 'Punjab'

Nars Sheer Glow foundation has fast become one of the most talked about 'high end' foundations amongst bloggers and beauty fans of late.  I think I'll just take this moment to commend myself at how long I managed to refrain from purchasing (pat on the back, Beth) - I certainly didn't take the decision to part with £30.50 lightly! I spent hours scouring the interwebs for reviews, shade descriptions and good and bad opinions until I eventually decided to just bite the bullet and go and get myself matched.  I shall apologise now - this post isn't going to be the snappiest review in the world but I wanted to provide a more in depth product overview and list all the vital information I personally wanted to know before I purchased.  However, I shall waste no time in telling you that it is without a doubt one of the best foundations I have ever bought - I genuinely do love Sheer Glow - but I did have to give it a second chance.  Let me explain...

I actually had a sample pot of this a good few months back.  I had amazingly sky-high hopes for it after reading many a rave review but was left feeling a little bit 'befuzzled' (is that even a word? It is now...) It looked awful on me - I immediately took it off with a face wipe and reapplied my trusty YSL Touche Eclat - I forgot about it and that was that. Skip forward a few months and I'd read an influx of amazing blog reviews that had left me wondering 'what am I missing out on?' - maybe I'd just applied it on a bad day? I had my graduation coming up, was obviously going to be having professional photographs taken and I wanted a long lasting, flawless effect foundation with no SPF (Nars Sheer Glow doesn't contain any at all).  I spent about 3 or 4 weeks thoroughly researching everything (detective Beth) and decided it was time to give it another go. First impressions aren't always right, after all.  I tottled into Space NK, was matched up to 'Light 5 - Fiji' (which I'd already picked out from online swatches, how's that for research?!) and left feeling completely content with my purchase.  I applied it as soon as I got home and was amazed at the results.  It looked flawless! Far better than it did previously when I'd tried it - almost like a completely different foundation! It didn't look cakey or dry or orange in any way - it appeared just like my skin - but better! I have no idea why it didn't mesh well with my skin from the sample pot - my only explanation was that it has dried up slightly as there wasn't much in there and I didn't get a true representation of what Nars Sheer Glow had to offer.

I used it more or less every day up until my graduation, so that I could get used to applying it the best way and learn which moisturiser worked more effectively underneath it.  One of the things I really have to highlight about Sheer Glow is that it is by no means a dewy foundation as the name would suggest.  It's actually got more of a satin, almost matte finish which provides a slight hint of a 'glow' to the skin so it still appears natural and maintains a bit of dimension.  It definitely has that 'lit from within; look.  However, it will cling to the slighest dry patch you have without fail. I have combination skin so have to make sure I really do exfoliate regularly and use a rich moisturiser on my forehead and outer cheeks (my dry areas) before application to ensure this doesn't happen.  Application is a dream - I actually find it best to use my Real Techniques Buffing brush to buff and smooth it onto the skin, and it instantly smooths out any uneven pigmentation, red areas or blemishes.  It provides the effect of a medium-full coverage but without the whole 'heavy sticky' sort of feel.  Wear time is amazing - I can get a full day at uni out of this with little need to touch-up with powder or concealer throughout the day and sometimes I can get away without powdering at all.  It also photographs beautifully - not a hint of flashback or 'oilyness' and for the first time ever I had no hint of 'ghost face' in my photos whatsoever.  Thumbs up for not looking like Caspar!

Like most people mention, the only slight downside is the fact that it doesn't come with a pump. The glass bottle and sleek Nars packaging are undeniably beautiful but it can get a little messy quite quickly if you're the clumsy type and it's easy to pour out too much - which is why I went on Space NK's waiting list for a Nars Foundation Pump (yep, that's right, waiting list!!) It cost £4 and came packaged in its own little Nars box (which actually made me quite happy - how cute does the little box look?!) and does the job perfectly well. The only problem is, once you apply the pump to the bottle, it makes popping the lid on impossible so if you're the type to carry your foundation around with you, I'd suggest just doing without it unless you fancy seeing the contents of your bag swimming in foundation.  Slight negative aside, I really do love this foundation.  Fiji is just the perfect shade for me and it's yellow undertones match my skin amazingly well (worth mentioning that Nars foundations are predominently yellow based) - in fact, I have to admit it's probably the best match I've ever found in a foundation.  You may be wondering then, why I have two bottles? Simple answer - Punjab suits me better if I have a little bit of fake tan on.  There's actually not a lot of difference between the two but it's a tad darker and ever so slightly peachier - worth baring in mind if you have the same skintone as me but wear fake tan on a regular basis.  I personally don't wear much on my face through winter unless I'm going out so for now, Fiji is my 'everyday' shade and 'Punjab' is purely a 'night on the tiles' shade,  To say I've swiftly gone out and bought another shade speaks volumes for my love for Sheer Glow!  Whatever your skintone, you're bound to find the right one for you - there's 20 shades (I believe?) ranging from pale to dark and everything inbetween. Maybe one of the best colour ranges I've seen. It's also worth mentioning that I usually HATE medium/fuller coverage foundations, but this one has changed my opinion and swayed me.  It has that flawless effect without feeling like it's clogging up your pores and it looks lovely and natural - no cake face in sight. It's actually one of the only foundations I've tried that seems to mimic the texture of skin.

I thought I'd sum it up for you if you're considering buying the infamous Sheer Glow but didn't fancy reading all of my dribble...

The Stats:
My Shade: Light 5 'Fiji' (every day) / Medium 1 'Punjab' (with a touch of fake tan)
Fiji = Light with yellow undertone | Punjab = Medium with golden, peachy undertones
Cost: £30.50
Coverage: Medium to full (in my opinion)
Finish: Satin - naturally radiant
I apply with: Real Techniques Buffing Brush

Pros: 
- Even, flawless coverage
- No SPF was a 'pro' for me as it's great for flash photography - a great 'going out' foundation - no flashback.
- Provides a slight glow/sheen to the skin without looking oily or greasy
- Works well with my combination skin
- Covers up my blemishes with ease
- Only 2 pumps needed for the entire face - it will last a good while!
- Fabulous shade range
- Lasts all day.
- The glass bottle and Nars packaging pleases me. 
- Doesn't seem to oxidise on me
- Predominently yellow toned range suits my skin  (personal 'pro point' - if I was any more yellow I'd be a Simpson!)

Cons:
-Can cling to dry patches. If you have dry skin or any dry patches whatsoever - take heed! If you've forgotten to moisturise it will look awful! Prepare for a love/hate relationship at first until you find your 'routine' with it.
- No pump 
- Some would say price - but I think it's worth the money.  
- If you live in sunnier climes (lucky you) bare in mind that the lack of SPF might not be the best choice for daytime wear.



Overall - I love it.  I'm so glad I gave it a second chance and didn't settle for my opinion on the tester pot.  It gives a naturally radiant finish that looks like skin and feels lightweight, at the same time as giving a brightening effect - perfect if I'm feeling a little tired and worse for wear!  I've had so many comments on my skin since wearing this - and it gives me a little boost of a morning.  I just look forward to applying it and for me, that's what makes a great foundation. Nars Sheer Glow? I COULD KISS YOU! You can find the range on their website here complete with shade descriptions, and it is also available at Space NK, ASOS and John Lewis - to name a few!

Have you tried Sheer Glow? What were your thoughts?

42 comments:

  1. I LOVE this review. It’s so in depth and covers everything that i’d ask at a counter. I really need to pick up a sample of this but i don’t think it’s the right thing to go for at the moment as i’m suffering with really bad dry patches on my face that nothing seems to be fixing! The pump thing is a little annoying but NARS is a big brand so hopefully they will supply a lid that goes onto of the pump rather than having to go without.

    You’ve made me want this so much more than I already did but damn you dry skin!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Emma! Ahh yes I wouldn't be able to wear it on a 'dry skin day' - it can be very love/hate but when it works - it looks amazing! It's a good one to buy once the dry patches clear up though! Yess hopefully in future the problem will be sorted but it's nothing major i guess - just a little gripe :) xx

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to buy this foundation for a while now but what has put me off is the price too. I think I need to go into space n k and get swatched because the pros outweigh the cons of this foundation especially for my skin type. One of the more important would be no Caspar face in pictures ha. Really glad I read your honest review about this foundation. Defo going to purchase x

    http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay glad you found the review helpful and will go on to purchase :) I hope you like it as much as me! Oh goodness yes the no Caspar face is such a good point! Especially if you're off to a special event! :) x

      Delete
  3. I absolutely swear by NARS Sheer Glow! I think it's such a lovely foundation with great coverage and it tends to last all through the working day for me. I admit, the product's price tag is a bit extravagant but I have yet to find a foundation that works this brilliantly for my normal to dry skin - although it works best once I've applied my Illamasqua Hydra Veil (another product I swear by!). I would definitely recommend it but would also buy it with the pump, just for ease of use and to prevent wasting excess product!

    Great review :)

    http://thelastsouvenir.blogspot.co.uk/

    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great if you want long lasting isn't it?! Seems to work a treat on me too. When you compare it with other high-end foundations the price isn't too bad and it ticks all the boxes for what i was looking for! Oo you know what, I've never tried that but will have to look into it. Its one of those products that intrigues me! xx

      Delete
  4. Looks gorgeous! I really want to try it but not sure I could spend that much on one foundation.

    sisterswhoshop1023.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty pricey - worth getting matched and considering it beforehand - definitely read a variety of reviews xx

      Delete
  5. Yes it is a bit of an annoyance - to be honest though it wouldnt prevent me from buying again. It's more of a niggle for me :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man now I need Fiji, more yellow you say!? I need that and I need something for when I don't wear fake tan so thankyou for pointing this out. Bye bye another £30 odd quid lol x looks gorgeous on you.
    Liza | Glambeautys | YouTube p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lovely :)! I noticed you had Punjab and thought i'd see if it matched because I'm usually a similar shade to you! I bet you're right inbetween the two like me! It depends if im wearing tan or not but I think Fiji is my perfect match. Yes it's much more yellow - it looks more natural on me in daylight and looks a little more brightening and radiant due to the undertone. Worth grabbing it if you love it as much as me - it's nice to take your pick! xx

      Delete
  7. Well this sounds like a winner. Pretty sure I was matched to Deauville but might need to double check that!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha goodbyeeee £30.50!! ;) Sorry Rachel :P Yes its worth double checking - the differences between the shades are very small but its always nice to have a perfect match :) Worth having a look on their website for their brief shade descriptions - it helped me loads xx

      Delete
  8. I have this shade in Deauville, I think it is the next light shade down from yours maybe :) it is a lovely foundation isn't it! I hate the fact that the lid will not fit on without the pump, that really bugs me (more than it should) but overall it is a lovely product.
    Amy x | A Little Boat Sailing

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is possibly the best foundation review I've ever read! The only downside - you are the BIGGEST enabler, I feel like I need this in my life now! In the photo your skin looks absolutely flawless, you're right - it's completely like you have a radiance from within xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely love this foundation, its so worth it in my opinion. Agree it tends to cling to dry patches but overall it does give such a flawless finish. 100% worth it

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've wanted this for so long but wast sure.. such a great review!! you've convinced me to add it to my Christmas list!!

    Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. loved this review, you really done a load of research on the product (which I love), you were honest about the negatives and the big positives!! great post!! maybe in the new year when I can afford to part with £30 I might treat myself to some nars foundation :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was such an in depth review and super helpful! I've been thinking of getting this before I go on a cruise in about a month (and I have some money from my birthday) so I really enjoyed this post! It also looks beautiful on your skin!
    Amber
    Lovely Notions

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've made me want this foundation so much, it looks beautiful on you! I have exactly the same 'spot the Casper' issue in photos so I'm really excited to try this! I also have very blotchy blemished skin so this would work well....hmm... So very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have two shades of Sheer Glow as well, Punjab and Stromboli. Glad I'm not the only one. Totally worth it to have two. I love it so much x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always love reading your posts - so informative and I feel like I can trust you :)

    I am careful about not falling into bloggers hyped up products, but, lets be honest, some of them are talked about so much, because they simply are... that good! Let's say Bioderma cleansing water - probably the best purchases I ever made, based on hearing people go on and on about it.

    So, that's why I'm very curious about this too. The price is insane, especially for someone like me, who doesn't wear a lot of makeup and is just interested... but I would love to try it out!

    Thanks for sharing and have a nice weekend! :)

    Renate from thecuriousklutz.blogspot.dk
    What’s in my makeup bag post has just gone up on my blog, if you’re interested to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also had a sample of this foundation and hated it, maybe I need to just buy it and try it properly!
    Great review, and it looks fab on you.

    Alice ¦ BeautyByAlicee ¦ YouTube

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your make up is flawless! I recently bought this foundation and definitely agree that you need to find your 'routine' with it. It took a couple of tries to get used to it but I absolutely love it now! Just wish it had a pump :) xxx

    Sarah Nunn | UK Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really useful review. I wish I could get on with this foundation but I just can't. I think the name is really misleading, it has a really matte finish! I think after reading a few reviews that dry skin types need to buy this with caution. It goes so dry on my skin even with tonnes of moisturiser underneath, it grabs onto dry patches and what's worse within five ish hours its completely faded and disappeared off my face! Maybe I'll give it a rest like you did and try it again but I'm so disappointed by it that I wouldn't repurchase. It does look really lovely on you though Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the effect this gives it makes your skin look flawless really need to get this :D x

    www.krystelcouture.com
    GLAMGLOW + Macadamia Oil Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your skin looks flawless! Such a good review, love how you really went into depth and answered all possible questions

    xx Caroline
    coffeeandcaroline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brilliant amazing review. Thank you so so much, it looks beautiful! You look gorgeous..

    theglamaddict.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your skin looks incredible, I really want to try this foundation! x

    Maddy from UNSTITCHEDD 

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks absolutely amazing on you!! I am using it at the moment too, and love it but I don't look as flawless as you do! xx

    Stacey Expat Make-Up Addict

    ReplyDelete
  25. i have this and I hate the fact it doesnt come with a pump, i just shake it up and use whatever is in the lid :L

    http://woodwinked64.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have only just come across your blog! This is one of my favourite foundations too and you look great with it! I'm Deauville in this, so much paler and go up to Fiji when I have tan on haha! Woe my casper skin. Now following you lovely!!

    www.zoenewlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really want this foundation! Every blogger that I've read that's tried it has loved it it's just the price that puts me off :S idk maybe I'll have to save up :)
    www.violetbeautyandlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. As soon as I read about how it clings to dry patches, I crossed it off my mental wishlist. I have the worst dry skin ever and sometimes no amount of scrub or moisturiser helps it :(

    It looks stunning on you though, so glad you gave it another go and found an amazing product that works for you :)

    Claudia xx | Beauty and the Chic

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so much for this review! I've been considering trying out sheer glow, have a yellow tone to my skin, and am fed up of looking like a ghost in photos! Guess I'll be going to get matched very soon :)

    www.beautifulcuriosities.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this review, it has been the first one I have read on this foundation as I am looking to buy this on monday! I have pretty oily skin and I am used to using Double Wear, so fingers crossed I will love it :-)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great review, if I have read it before I've purchased Sheer Glow I would skip it. Now I'm stuck with it - I'll have to find a way to apply it so that it doesn't highlights my pores. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow great review! I just posted a review similar to this on my blog, would be cool if you checked it out! - Ellie - http://3llieblogs.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is THE review I wanted, I was torn between the two shades! thanks for this post :)

    I've recently joined the blogging world, please take a look
    LondonBeautyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your review! I have really yellow-based skin like you and really find it hard to match foundation. I've been using bare-minerals powder for a while now and I really like it, although my skin is improving and I find it can look a little heavy and cake some days. I've really debating trying this foundation but the price in Australia is steep at $68! (EEP!) but after your review i'm very tempted to go and get matched to see how it feels.

    Lovely post! :) x

    lana-sultana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just came across your review of Nars Sheer Glow when I was researching it on Google and I'm so glad I did! It's such an in-depth review and has really given me all the information I needed to persuade me to buy it. I think £30 is quite a lot for a foundation, especially one I didn't end up loving so thankyou for your honest opinions on it! Definitely going to go and get colour matched asap as I've heard SO many good things about this foundation :)

    emmawiths.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

I always read all of my lovely comments. Make sure you check back as i often reply but if you do have a specific question and want a quicker response then please do email me over at birds.words@yahoo.co.uk or tweet me (@Beth_BirdsWords). Thank you for all your support! x